The Holidays, for Me


As I've grown older, and have had time to sit back and watch and ponder these things, and see the forest for the trees, recognized things for what they are and what they mean, and perhaps what they truly should mean, I've come to this opine (and the opinion is only my own):

CHRISTMAS IS FOR THE CHILDREN

CHRISTMAS IS FOR FAMILY

CHRISTMAS IS TO RECALL AND REINVIGORATE ONE'S FAITH

CHRISTMAS IS A TIME TO SIT BACK, TAKE A BREATH, RECALL THE YEAR AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO DO IN THE COMING YEAR

#

Simple truth: I have more than enough. I don't need gifts, I need to give more. I want to see the wonder and magic in the eyes of the children, those who have or had nothing, those who are our future and should have a moment of pure joy, and perhaps, be heaped upon a few loving gifts to tell them THEY ARE LOVED.

Simple truth: I have more than enough and don't need a bunch of STUFF. It's nice and a bit fun to have STUFF but how much STUFF do I really need? I need FAMILY. I need to be in the midst of my brothers and sisters, moms and dads. Even friends are family, especially those ones I've known for years and years. Heck, even workmates are family in a sense. And some of the people I've known and don't see anymore. I miss them because, at some point, they were kind of...family. Christmas is a time to be with family. Christmas is a time to remember family. Christmas is a time to say hello to family.

Simple truth: I grew up Catholic, then I simply wanted to be a good Christian. I don't know what I'd do if, during those really bad, and really alone times, I didn't have Christ and Faith (faith restores hope) when it felt my life was bottoming out HARD. The holiday season is for looking at what you believe, looking at your FAITH and what you have faith in. It is great and grand to have faith in yourself, to pursue the good fight, to push onward and keep pushing onward. Sometimes you have to recall what Christmas, those thousands of years ago, was all about: recall and reinvigorate your Faith.

Simple truth: It's the end of another year. What did you do this year? Anything good for yourself and your loved ones? What can you do tomorrow, next year, to bring yourself up higher, better, and love more, and care more, and be a positive influence when the world is all topsy-turvy? This is the time of year, the season of the year, to take a step back...maybe with a glass of eggnog or favorite beverage...and look back on this past year of LIFE, nod and take a breath and say WHOOO! I MADE IT, and ponder the FRESH, NEW year approaching.

A favorite song, with some great lyrics, comes to mind, by a group named TESLA, and a song entitled WHAT YOU GIVE. My favorite lyrics: "It's not what you got, it's what you give. It ain't the life you choose, but the life you live."

I love those lines, and I try to take them to heart, because I believe those words.

Whatever you believe. Whatever your opinion of the season is, or any of MY announced simple truths, I genuinely wish you and yours a very very merry holiday season.

السلام والحب والفرح
paz, amor y alegria
שלום, אהבה ושמחה
和平,愛和歡樂
paix, amour et joie
Frieden, Liebe und Freude
pokój, miłość i radość
平和、愛と喜び
мир, любовь и радость
maluhia, aloha a me ka hauʻoli
Peace, Love and Joy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Weekend of StickonStump

Divine Intervention, or Right Place at Right Time, or Divine Intervention

You are meant to be YOU